Permissions are an essential part of your Image Relay library and Admins play a big role in this. The main difference between an Admin User and a Basic User is that Admins have the ability to upload in addition to all of the tasks of the Basic User. Depending on their settings, they may also have the ability to view reports, manage users, add or delete folders, and much more.
The number of Admins that you have depends on your plan. Please check your contract to determine how many Admin roles are available to you. Enterprise plans come with the Limited Admin level, and it can also be added as feature for an extra fee. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on Limited Admin if you are interested.
Choose a title for your permission that is descriptive. If you only have one Admin, then perhaps "Main Admin" will be enough, but if you have many types of admins you will want to describe their roles in that field. It could be "Marketing Admin," "New York Admin - Photography and Branding." Make it something meaningful and useful to identify the role.
Choosing the Permission Type
Admin permissions are set at the folder level, and when an Admin is able to view a folder, they are by default an Admin of it. An exception to this is the Limited Admin setting, which is included in Enterprise Plans and can also be added to your plan with an additional fee. When Limited Admin is turned on, users can view any folders that you allow them to, but only administrate the folders that you set. We will explore this more below.
Folder Access - Admin
- The check mark on the left side means that the user is allowed to view the folder and they will also automatically have admin access. You cannot turn off admin access if they can view the folder.
- You can turn the Download Access on an off, even for Admins. This may be for people who work on the site and need to upload, such as admins, but don't need the assets themselves.
- You can also turn on Request Access for Admins, although we recommend you keep it off.
Folder Access - Limited Admin
The settings for Limited Admin are the same as Admin, with the exception being Limited Admin users can see all folders that are checked, but are not automatically admins for them. With this option. you can choose which folders they are administrators on.
In the example above, the user can view the Photographer, Branding, News and Press, Projects, Website, Events and Video Folders, but they are only admins for the Branding and News and Press Folders. This means that they only have admin capabilities such as uploading, the rights to delete, created folders and more, in these two folders.
The options in this section allow you to fine tune the permissions settings. The first set is the same as the Basic user options:
- Not required to fill out download information - If you would like someone's information every-time they want to download, uncheck this box. You may get a lot of emails however!
- Ability to send a collection that does not require download information. When this is checked, basic users can create a collection and send it too anyone they choose, who can then download. Turn this on for more security.
- Download Agreement approval is only required when it is updated. If you turn this off, the download agreement will pop up every time someone downloads.
- Create Quick Links - When checked allows the user to create links to share with other outside of the organization. These can be made view only or download.
- Create Folder Links - When this is on users can share whole folders that can be view only or download.
The Administration Access options are specific to the Admin setting.
- Edit Folders (Create, Rename, Organize and Delete) - This allows the user to create and edit all folders in the library.
- Users and Permissions (Invite, Approve, Delete Users, Access Permissions) - This is an important setting that allows a user to edit users and permissions. If this is on, they can edit all and any users including themselves. You may only want the master admin or one or two admins have the capability.
- Keyword Tools (Keyword Sets, Import Keywords) - If you have the Keyword tools turned on, this setting will allow the user to create, edit, and upload keywords and Tags.
- Tracking Reports (Uploads, Download, User Activity) - When this on, the user can look at all user activity including logins, uploads, downloads, removal of assets, and more.
- Trash - Users can view what has been moved to the Trash for deletion.
- Upload Files - One of the essential powers of an admin. Turning this off will limit their capabilities but there are cases where this is a good option.
- Update Files - This allows users to edit files and add new versions of files.
- Delete Files - Users can move items to the trash and delete them from the library.
- Respond to File Requests - Users will have the ability to review and respond to file requests from other users who cannot download without permission.
- Administer File Versions - Users can add new version, view old versions, and revert pack to old versions.
Exploring Permissions - Basic
Creating a New Permission